Friday, August 18, 2006

They Know Who You Are

One of the more interesting non-slasher '80s horror films, John Schlesinger's The Believers was promoted as the next great modern urban horror film in the tradition of The Exorcist. Unfortunately some much-discussed last minute edits blunted the story (and ticked off a lot of Santeria practitioners in the process), but the end result is still effective and creepy if you go along with it. Martin Sheen stars as a recently widowed Manhattanite who becomes the target of a malicious cult, with sweaty cop Jimmy Smits warning him of impending danger. Helen Shaver also stars and has a scene involving her complexion no viewer ever forgets. The powerful, very scary score is by J. Peter Robinson, a talented and still-busy composer who had just finished The Wraith and The Gate. Don't listen to it alone!

The Believers
1. Jogging / Cal's Theme / Safety
2. Sacrifice (Main Title)
3. Discovery In Central Park
4. Jessica / Hospital / Cal And Jessica
5. Toyland
6. Cal Remembers Lisa
7. Theatre
8. Sanctuary
9. Cal Drives To McTaggart's / McTaggart's Death
10. Boils / Spiders
11. Retribution And End Title

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you!

8:48 PM  
Blogger phelpster said...

Thanks for this one! I'll check it out later. Would you be interested in adding yet another site to your links by any chance? I'd like to add yours since I've gotten several things from here before. Here's the link:
http://the-manchester-morgue.blogspot.com/
Check it out when you have a chance.

2:10 PM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Thanks, I've added you to the links section -- cool blog! Some really nice stuff on there.

7:49 PM  
Blogger phelpster said...

Thanks! I added yours as well. Although I just noticed an extra http:// in the link I put for you on my page. So I'll fix that and really add yours.

1:24 AM  
Blogger pooter said...

Now this was an unexpected suprise. I saw this film when I was a teenager and couldnt remember the soundtrack. Have enjoyed discovering it! Thanks

7:38 AM  
Blogger attax said...

Great score :) thanks

4:46 AM  
Blogger Score-Brother said...

I wish I could have the chance to hear this, but the link is dead.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home