Thursday, August 03, 2006

Scream Amen, Somebody

Here's another super-rare goodie from the AIP vaults -- the unreleased jazz-horror score for 1969's Scream and Scream Again, the bizarre Gordon Hessler cult horror/sci-fi favorite featuring mad scientists, enforced limb removals, a mad vampiric serial killer, and much, much more. Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are all featured (but never together) along with an odd supporting cast including Uta Levka (Carmen, Baby) and Yutte Stensgaard (Lust for a Vampire). The wild music (which was inexplicably dropped on the first few video releases back in the VHS days) is an early effort from David Whitaker, who would go on to provide Hammer Films with two of its best '70s scores (Vampire Circus and Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde), not to mention that enduring fan favorite, The Sword and the Sorcerer. As with Pit and the Pendulum, this is taken from a music-and-effects track, which means you'll hear an occasional sound effect in the mix which hopefully won't detract from your enjoyment.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm loving these AIP finds! Please keep them coming!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A big AMEN from me, too! And a big THANK YOU for adding on the stereo Amen Corner tracks as well! I hope you have many more AIP M&E's where this came from.

Till then, if you're wondering what to post next, how about NEROSUBIANCO (Tinto Brass soundtrack by The Freedom) or THE FRIGHTENED WOMAN (aka FEMINA RIDENS) by Stelvio Cipriani? Any blogger as cool as you MUST have these, right?

2:28 AM  
Blogger New Texture said...

WOW! I never expected this to turn up! This one's a real thrill to hear. I only wish the Amen Corner's title song was available *somewhere* in a mix closer to the one used in the film.

Many thanks!

I second the request for FEMINA RIDENS. I wonder, have you ever heard any of the music from THE LONG, SWIFT SWORD OF SIEGFRIED turn up anywhere? I'm not sure if they are library tracks or a commissioned score...

9:30 AM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Hope you all enjoy this one; I do have the film mix of the title song on the M&E track, but it really sounds like crap -- lots of ambient crowd noise mixed over it. If there's a demand I'll post it as an addition anyway.

I have FEMINA RIDENS, but in keeping with blog etiquette, I should probably leave that one to the excellent fellow who gave it to me in the first place. Hopefully you'll see it turn up soon.

As for SIEGFRIED, Danielle Patucchi wrote the score for the original "Continental" version, but it sounds like David Friedman stuck his own beloved library tracks in for the American release when he had it dubbed. I'll check for sure the next time I talk to him.

3:13 PM  
Blogger New Texture said...

I look forward to his answers! The music from that film has been a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine for many years now.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Soundtrack Sharity said...

Strangely enough I'm being asked for a password when opening the archive. Am I missing something?

4:17 PM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

That's odd -- I tested downloading it just now and the Zip file opened fine. You may want to check the security settings on your version of WinZip, perhaps? Or try downloading it again?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh - I have my psychotic Vincent Price movies mixed up. I downloaded Michael J. Lewis' THEATRE OF BLOOD from YDHTVTB. My apologies!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home