Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Saucy Jack

One of the more notorious horror films of the late '50s, the Baker & Berman version of Jack the Ripper presents a vicious take on the infamous Whitechapel killings with a style foreshadowing the imminent giallo craze, including a color insert climax in an elevator shaft that no viewer ever forgets. Joseph E. Levine released this one in the U.S. and decided to chuck out the British score by Stanley Black (currently available on CD), replacing it with the odd team of jazz composer Pete Rugolo (Thriller, Sanford and Son) and old school musical veteran Jimmy McHugh ("I'm in the Mood for Love"). As you might expect, the results are pretty fascinating...

Jack the Ripper (U.S. score)
1. Main Title (Jack The Ripper Theme)
2. Love Theme (Lowry Dates Ann)
3. Killed In The Elevator
4. Ann Is Chased

5. Ripper Kills Gateman
6. Mary Clarke Theme
7. To the Operating Room (And End Title)
8. Ripper Gets Mary Clarke
9. Ann And Mary
10. Chase The Hunchback
11. Barmaid Starts Home (And Can-Can Scene)
12. Ann Is Trapped

13. Kitty
14. Blood On My Hands (and End Cast)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I haven't found your e-mail so I take this little way for two things.
First, Thank you very much and a very big "Bravo" for your blog 'cause it's really fantastic. Good choice and good taste of you, so I hope a long continuation for your excellent work.
Second, recently I discovered your blog, so I can't downloaded the archives posted in june 'cause they are already deleted. So I've just a little request: can you please, re-posted the Rhino's Golden Turkey Album 'cause I'm looking for since very longtime and unfortunatelly I can download it now...imagine this frustration (lol)...thank you in advance!!!
Michael

5:09 AM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Hi! Thanks, I hope you're enjoying the posts. I'm gradually restoring some of the June links; "Golden Turkey" should be active now -- try it again.

11:08 AM  
Blogger eniksleestack said...

"Saucy Jack," ha! I just got that! Another great post, thanks.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been after this for years. The vinyl has been gathering dust in my basement...Thanks for this post. btw:You're not kidding about the color shot in the elevator..unforgettable.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to be some background noise on this. Not sure what it is. I did test the d/l on two different CD players and it's there on the tracks but not in between them. That doesn't mean I wasn't more than glad to see this rare soundtrack. Thanks for the post.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete Rugalo's son Tony was in a couple of bands during the big mod revival in L.A. in the eighties. i remember seeing No Doubt open for the Travelling Dingleberries (Tony's band) and Fishbone at the Roxy twenty years ago

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home