Monday, November 13, 2006

The Mighty Pino

It's hard to believe Cannon Films managed to theatrically release this jawdropping 1983 version of Hercules, an Italian production from Luigi Cozzi featuring Lou Ferrigno, Brad Harris, Gianni Garko, lots of fighting tinker toys in the sky, and the always spectacular Sybil Danning, whose revealing outfits push the PG rating about as far as it can go. However, the rousing score by Pino Donaggio is pretty great, with a stirring main theme and some truly beautiful passages (especially the awesome "Baby Hercules") that rank among his finest.

[link removed - score now commercially available]

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY...this is just...i cant believe...ive been looking for...

thank you so much for this post !!!

this movie has been in rotation on cable lately and i have been watching it over and over as I happen to catch it. i just love it for all every good/bad reason yiu can probably think of.

i cant wait to get this on my ipod.

5:39 PM  
Blogger 0T0 said...

Nice rarity, thank u 7!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Uncle Gustav said...

Yes, very rare Pino - thanks!

I actually went to a theatre and paid to see this movie.

Meanwhile, would you happen to have an mp3 of Pino's music from "Body Double" when Craig Wasson is watching Melanie Griffith strip through the window?

9:46 AM  
Blogger Uncle Gustav said...

By the way, I have Philippe Rombi's music for François Ozon films on my blog, in case you want to hear it. Check the November 2 entry at Flickhead.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Very cool.

You're right; this is one of those movies that did not deserve such a cool OST.

I'm kinda making the rounds today...would you like to be listed on the OST Hub? That way, other soundtrack fiends will know when you update your site. Just check out the site and see what you think.

http://osthub.blogspot.com/

If you like it, leave a comment giving me permission to list your blog.

Ugh...I think Lou peaked with The Incredible Hulk.

2:09 PM  
Blogger eniksleestack said...

This is such a cool score. I kinda remember the movie -- I remember not liking it -- but wow, this score rocks! Thanks!

3:26 PM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Body Double was recently posted at another blog; I'll check for the link -- if I can't find it, I'll post the track here.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One has to love this movie . . . it has Sybil Danning in it. :D

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home