Tuesday, July 11, 2006

18 Feet of Gut-Crunching, Musical Terror!

One of the most beloved '70s drive-in nature-amok outings, Grizzly proved to be a big hit for late director William Girdler, the cracked genius who also gave the world The Manitou and Day of the Animals. Along with stalwarts Christopher George, Andrew Prine and Richard Jaeckel running around in the woods firing bazookas at man-eating wildlife, the film features a melodic score by composer Robert O. Ragland, who had already done The Thing with Two Heads and Girdler's Abby. The soundtrack is pure '70s nature-disaster music movie heaven, with a poppy theme song ("What Makes a Man a Man?"), a tender love theme, and lots of creepy, sinister music whenever the bear (or its furry stand-in) appears.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this is a pleasant surprise! GRIZZLY (which I actually saw back when it opened)is my fav. Girdler film and I love that soundtrack! I never thought I`d be able to play it at my desire. Thank you.

PS - Love that Neal Adams art.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great work here, I love listening to movie soundtracks.

If you have any Jess Franco soundtracks, they would be very cool - I only wish that Venus in Furs had an OST release, that would be fantastic.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

2:02 AM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Glad you guys like this one; the track titles alone are pricless.

As for Franco soundtracks, yeah, it's a tragedy Venus in Furs has never been released (except for some library tracks available elsewhere, e.g., the lesbian photographer music is on the Cherry, Harry and Raquel soundtrack). I'll dig up whatever Francos I can find!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you fucking kidding me? Grizzly? i love you, 7BN!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Another item from my long list of stuff I was gonna salvage from LP... eventually. This is probably the most fun of Ragland's scores, to me. Despite that song. It's just so bad it's... uh, bad.
Thanks!

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nature goes mad movies! YAY! Didnt Schifrin doe "Day of the Animals"!? No idea if its available. Anyway, this is a great score. I have the vinyl but this is so handy to have it online like this. Ragland is great. Did he do Gargoyles the 70's TVM which has an awesome theme?

9:14 AM  
Blogger Lance Ashley said...

Anyway it can be re-uploaded? I need this!

8:27 PM  
Blogger AIRPENNY said...

I've been lookin' for this one.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home