Thursday, July 06, 2006

Yor's World

No fan of spectacularly deranged filmmaking can afford to miss Yor, the Hunter from the Future, a stupefying cable TV favorite from director Antonio Margheriti (Castle of Blood) about a buff, blond caveman who tangles with dinosaurs, aliens, and a cavegirl played by Story of O's Corinne Clery. Pretty difficult to see now, it's worth hunting for if you feel so inclined. Anyway, the feature was released in English by Columbia Pictures(!), drastically condensed from a four-hour Italian TV miniseries with a score by the fantastic Guido and Maurizio De Angelis-- who also gave you the insanely catchy Torso and Keoma and sing under the name "Oliver Onions." While their instrumental score is entertaining enough, it's the theme song, "Yor's World" (performed by - yep - Oliver Onions), that really claws its way into your brain, bursting from the soundtrack at wildly inopportune moments. Columbia decided their re-edit needed some extra music, so they brought on composer/library music maestro John Scott (before he hit the big time with Greystoke) to write some incidental cues here and there. Only 4 of his comparatively bland tracks made it to the soundtrack LP with the De Angelis Bros. still making up the majority (12 tracks), but the poor Italians still got shafted with an "Additional Music by..." credit on the front cover. Later an Australian CD was released, but it only contained Scott's music; so, to correct that oversight, we now proudly present the De Angelis-ized version of Yor, so sing along to your heart's content: "Lost in the world of past / In the echo of ancient dust / There is a man from future, a man of mystery..."

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the YOR score! I was rewatching the film recently, so this was perfect timing. It`s nice to see some kind words for the De Angelis, most folks seem to hate the KEOMA soundtrack.

This is a fantastic blog, I look forward to each visit.

12:21 PM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Happy to oblige; the De Angelis sound definitely deserves a better reputation. But then again I love the Keoma soundtrack, so what do I know?

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for delivering the Italo-schlock goods yet again. I remember seeing this during a VHS b-movie viewing session with a friend - we still use the quote "Damn talking box!" ten years later. Seeing Reb Brown hang-glide a pterodactyl into a cave while the theme song blares is one of my favorite Eurotrash moments.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this film since I was a kid but remember thinking what crap it was even back then. But the score...from the same folks who brought us Keoma and Mannaja? I freaking love those soundtracks. Like...a wolf...aloooone. So good. Thank you for making this available, you are making the world a better place.

1:24 AM  
Blogger _ said...

Thanks for uploading that! A great score! I love Guido & Maurizio :)

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, mine is a different attitude...
I am happy to have the CD that contains the complete John Scott score and I've always found Guido and Maurizio's stuff apalling. On the other hand, that song really IS so bad it's good.
Anyway.
Thanks for the song!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Been meaning to say thanks for posting this. Our little cinema club recently showed YOR and it was a real treat getting to play the soundtrack before the screening.

Long time friend of mine, Don Guarisco tipped me off about your site.

4:54 PM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Thanks-- and keep spreading the weird cinema word in Wisconsin. And thanks for the pug bowling, by the way.

6:16 PM  
Blogger SkunkApe said...

Great Post!

I can't believe I've never seen this film. Might have to track the VHS down until it gets the digital treatment.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha , thanks , i looked for this one a while.. :D

eurocheese , lol

øyvind, Norway

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, Where I can find the lyrics from the main theme?
Thanks...

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe this. I have been hunting relentlessly for years and years for this soundtrack. I almost bid over $90 on ebay for the australian copy that doesn't even contain the song (so i found out by your blog) that has burnt an indelable impression into my psyche since i was a child, yor's world. this is incredible. really. the closest i got was hearing it prior to discovering your amazing blog through wfmu was youtube. again thank you. i am almost complete. now, if you could only help me find the soundtrack this 80s new zeland tv show with gibbering fleshy blobs and lovecrafty inspired themes i actually would be complete.... again, thanks.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

damn. did I miss the mp3's? I always show up too late. I just decided to search for the Yor theme song and I thought I was saved.

10:36 AM  
Blogger ultra66 said...

can you please upload it again I been looking for this years

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! Very glad I discovered it.

Please consider uploading this one again. I too have been searching for it for years and it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you kind sir.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to locate the song download "Yor's World". I've looked virtually everywhere and have had no luck. Please help! lol Email stratman_tn@yahoo.com with any info that can help! Thanks!

3:44 AM  
Blogger Mike H. said...

Darn...it's gone! I was so happy to have finally found this music....YOR infected my brain at a young age...maybe 1986? And I never ever forgot that main theme song. Hilarious!

Please let me know if it will become available again. Thanks!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yorrr! Please let me know if this soundtrack becomes available again!

9:40 AM  
Blogger MIK said...

Bah! I was hoping to find it after all these years. Yor is so nonexistent nowadays I don't know if it was a dream or real. I'll echo the sentiment about letting us know when it's available again!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Terrasidius said...

Awesome, thanks for this!

Also, you havent heard anything until youve heard this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6quwdHekI&feature=relmfu

I reckon youve heard it already, its one of my faves. :)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Terrasidius said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home