Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Barry Go Boom!

Here's the first in a triple-post salute to one of the all-time great film composers, John Barry. This classy, subtle score was written for the not-so-classy, not-subtle-at-all 1968 Joseph Losey film, Boom!, a wildly excessive adaptation of Tennesse Williams' play, The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore. A scenery-devouring Elizabeth Taylor stars as "Sissy" Goforth, an ailing drama queen whose life is turned upside down by the arrival of mysterious poet Richard Burton at her remote island estate. One of John Waters' favorite movies (watch for the prominent poster in Pink Flamingos), it's screaming out for a widescreen DVD release. Get on it, Universal!

Boom!
1. Boom
2. Urgentissimo - Like Everything This Summer
3. Of A Year Unknown
4. Pain Gone Til Tomorrow
5. Have I Changed Very Much Since You Last Saw Me?
6. You've Got More Things Going for You than Teeth, Baby
7. Mister Death Angel Flanders
8. Through Caverns Measureless to Man
9. Capito
10. Which Way Is The Sun?
11. A Mobile Called "Boom"
12. The Shock Of Each Moment Of Still Being Alive
13. Hideaway (Georgie Fame)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger New Texture said...

Looking forward to giving this a listen. John Barry is always welcome, and BOOM! references have been popping up constantly for me lately, re-piquing my curiosity about this one. Sometimes these things are just in the air...

Thanks!


www.newtexture.com

1:34 PM  
Blogger Isbum said...

Beautiful transfer from the LP:)
Just love his writing for strings in this, and I mean all kinds of strings!!!
Never heard this one before...WOW!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this! I love this deranged but elegant score for this deranged and elegant movie. Fantastic.

5:35 AM  
Blogger number06 said...

It was in my intention to post it on Side-C soon, you were faster than i ! Anyway, the best soundtrack and my favourit by John Barry in my own opinion. I'll dl it again, just to have the pleasure about ( i hope ) to hear an other vinyl ripp ... many thanks & be seeing you ! :)

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never heard this before. Very interesting and not the usual John Barry... Don't get me wrong - I love the usual - but this is a nice surprise.
Thanks!

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered this and I'm very excited to hear it... I'll have to let you know what I think after it finishes downloading. But hey, a John Barry score from his 'classic' period that I didn't know about - there'll be at least one incredible track on this. At least! I can't thank you enough!

W P

11:49 PM  
Blogger Anders said...

Hi.
Would you by any chance be able to re-upload "Boom", please?
I collect vinyl, but have never heard "Boom", so it would be great if I could download it to see if I actually want to pay the enourmous sum for getting the LP.
If anybody else have a link to where I can download it, that would be much appreciated as well.

12:50 AM  
Blogger rosscompose said...

Barry was scoring everything in those days and this is a real rarity. Is it still available? Ever on CD?
Criterion should do a remastering of the whole film.

GREAT blog BTW. Hits many of my old favorite LPs. THE DAY THE FISH CAME OUT must be here somewhere.....

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home