Monday, August 28, 2006

Lipstick

Guess what I've got this week? Disco fever! First up, critics had a field day ripping apart Lipstick (or "I Spit on Your Grave with Stars"), a 1976 rape-revenge sickie from Paramount about a fashion model (the late Margeaux Hemingway) who, along with her preteen sister (Mariel), becomes the target of a wacko music teacher (Chris Sarandon) and fails to find justice in the courtroom. Featuring a finale that puts most male-driven vigilante movies to shame, this is way more effective as drive-in trash than as a serious social statement. The music from French pop figure Michel Polnareff is truly schizo, starting off with a dance-driven main theme and a long disco-style score medley; then everything switches as we get two heavy (12+ minutes!) doses of Sarandon's berserk electronic experimental music, best described as Tangerine Dream on crack.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant site as always - this is superb! Many thanks!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Isbum said...

You mind reader.!
I was just about to drop a link for this to you.
Excellent choice!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Isbum said...

PS: The two Jarre's we talked about are now in the comments for Voyage of the Damned.

3:38 PM  
Blogger SkunkApe said...

Your site has the widest varirty of genres titles and it rocks. I just started a blog for music would you like to link up.

I didn't know where else to contact ya.

Thanks

10:22 PM  
Blogger 7 Black Notes said...

Hey everyone, and thanks! Excellent job on the Jarre titles, ISBUM -- thank you very much as always.

Hey SkunkApe; cool blog, and wow, Addio Zio Tom! I added you to the links list.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Loopy C said...

This is such a great share for me personally, as the scenes of the 'Tangerine Dream on crack' electronics being performed by the antagonist in this film stayed in my head as an inspiration to have my own studio and be some sort of on-the-fringe composer!

Other than female obsessions/stalking part, that pretty much came true! Thanks, I haven't seen or heard this since I saw it in the theater ;-)

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home